Media and Publicity Internship
Left Forum seeks to fill a part-time media and publicity internship position for the Summer/Spring 2013/2014 periods. This internship starts immediately. This is a three to six month internship or a one or two semester internship and it can be scheduled according to the academic calendar year as needed.
We seek a motivated individual interested in learning about and assisting Left Forum's media and publicity work that culminates in the conference in June 2014 conference. Over 100 journalists attended the 2013 conference which featured a media row with live radio broadcasts, live web-casting and video coverage and a press conference. This is excellent opportunity to develop and hone your communications and publicity skills while gaining valuable, high-profile experience and contacts in the media, academic and nonprofit arenas. The position can be molded to fit the individual’s strengths and interests.
- Contact members of the press through emails and phone calls, and follow-up with press inquiries
- Learn about and help organize our media database of press contacts
- Work at the conference with radio hosts, station managers, and technicians, grassroots and international TV, web-casters, videographers, and other institutional media sources
- Schedule interviews for Left Forum notables and create news sourcing opportunities with hundreds of high profile speakers who come to the conference.
- Help to assemble a press kit, develop website media pages, write press releases, and produce public service announcements and TV and radio carts
- Orient and sign in members of the press at our on-site media welcome table and/or press conference
- Develop media outreach and conference promotion strategies
Background and Desired Experience
- Excellent research, writing and verbal communication skills
- Strong publicity and outreach skills
- Coursework in Communications or marketing is helpful
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively both individually and in a team
- Experience with databases— especially CiviCRM—preferred
- Passion for grassroots organizing and social justice
About the Internship
We're a small organization with a dedicated group of organizers, staff, and volunteers, leaving lots of room for your creativity. You'll have the opportunity to work in an interesting (and relaxed) office in the CUNY Graduate Center in Midtown Manhattan where you'll be able to interact with scholars and people who are involved with grassroots social justice movements.
This internship is unpaid, although academic credit is available. Hours are flexible—we ask for 15-20 hours a week—and can be adapted to fit your schedule. This internship begins immediately. People with diverse backgrounds and experience are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send a detailed cover letter and resume to email@example.com