Media and Publicity Internship
Left Forum seeks a Media Intern to join our dedicated Media and Publicity team, comprised of individuals with a passion for expanding the voices of social justice and progressive communities. This is a 1 to 2 semester (or monthly equivalent) internship for the 2014 Fall semester and/or through the 2015 Spring semester and can be scheduled according to the intern’s academic calendar and requirements.
About The Media and Publicity Internship
We’re a small organization with a dedicated group of organizers, staff and volunteers with a passion for social justice, community organizing, and progressive change. Located in the CUNY Graduate Center, you’ll be working in an interesting (and very relaxed) office where you’ll interact, meet, and learn from scholars, activists, authors and artists in a rewarding intellectual political milieu.
Media and publicity work includes outreach and organizing coverage for events throughout the year and media coordination for the annual Left Forum conference. Attended by over 4,500 people in 2014, a consistent and vital component to the conference’s success is a well-organized media row with live radio and television broadcasts, live web-casting, filming of events and speakers, and press conferences. Over the years Left Forum has been covered and attended by journalists from Globo Networks, MSNBC, C-Span, TeleSUR, RT, The Nation, Le Monde, Neues Deutschland, The Guardian, and many more.
- Develop media outreach and promotion strategies
- Assist in the creative development of new media projects
- Work at the conference and events with radio hosts, station managers and technicians, grassroots and international TV producers, web-casters, videographers, and other institutional media sources
- Assist in the organization of our media and press contacts database
- Help to assemble a press kit, develop website media pages, write press releases, and produce public service announcements for TV and radio carts
- Contact members of the press through emails and phone calls, and follow-up with press inquiries
Background and Desired Experience
- Passion for grassroots organizing and social justice
- Excellent research, writing and verbal communication skills
- Experience with research and library databases--- e.g. LexisNexis, etc.
- Strong publicity and outreach skills
- Coursework in Communications or marketing is helpful
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively both individually and in a team
- Experience with databases— especially CiviCRM preferred
About Interning with Left Forum
- This internship is unpaid, although academic credit is available.
- We ask for approximately 15-20 hours a week
- Hours are flexible and can be adapted to fit your schedule.
- We ask for a commitment of at least 1 semester (or approximately 3-4 months)
Please send a cover letter and/or resume to email@example.com