Media and Publicity Internship
Left Forum seeks a media and publicity Intern to join our dedicated team of organizers, comprised of individuals with a passion for expanding the voices of social justice and progressive communities. This is a 1 to 2 semester (or monthly equivalent) internship and can be scheduled according to the intern’s academic calendar and requirements. This internship would be ideal for someone who is interested in both semesters—seeing the work through until the annual conference in late May. PDF Description Here
ABOUT THE MEDIA AND PUBLICITY INTERNSHIP
During the Fall semester, this internship places an emphasis on the administrative, research, and outreach-oriented aspects of media and PR work. As the Fall semester progresses, this work will lay the foundation for the outreach, generation of coverage, and overall media coordination leading up to and for the annual Left Forum conference. Attended by over 4,200 people in 2015, a consistent and vital component to the conference’s success is a well-organized media row with live radio and television broadcasts, live web-casting, filming of events and speakers, and press conferences. Over the years Left Forum has been covered and attended by journalists from Globo Networks, MSNBC, C-Span, TeleSUR, RT, The Nation, Le Monde, Neues Deutschland, The Guardian, and many more.
- Develop media outreach and promotion strategies
- Assist in the creative development of new media projects
- Assist in the organization of our media and press contacts database
- Help to assemble a press kit, develop website media pages, write press releases, and produce public service announcements for TV and radio carts
- Contact members of the press through emails and phone calls, and follow-up with press inquiries
- (In Spring) Work at the conference and events with radio hosts, station managers and technicians, grassroots and international TV producers, web-casters, videographers, and other institutional media sources
BACKGROUND AND DESIRED EXPERIENCE
- Passion for grassroots organizing and social justice
- Excellent research, writing and verbal communication skills
- Experience with research and library databases--- e.g. LexisNexis, etc.
- Strong publicity and outreach skills
- Coursework in Communications or marketing is helpful
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively both individually and in a team
- Experience with databases— especially CiviCRM—preferred
ABOUT INTERNING WITH LEFT FORUM
We’re a small organization with a dedicated group of organizers, staff, and volunteers with a passion for social justice, community organizing, and progressive change. Located in the CUNY Graduate Center, you’ll be working in an interesting (and relaxed) office where you’ll interact, meet, and learn from scholars, activists, authors and artists in a rewarding intellectual political milieu.
- This internship is unpaid
- We ask for approximately 15-20 hours a week
- Hours are flexible and can be adapted to fit your schedule.
- We ask for a commitment of at least 1 semester or the equivalent period of time
ABOUT LEFT FORUM
Continuing a tradition that began in the 1960s, Left Forum convenes an international conference each year in New York City. The conference involves a broad spectrum of progressive intellectuals, organizers and academics, who come together to share ideas to transform the world; to better understand commonalities, differences, and alternatives to current predicaments; and to engage a wide range of critical perspectives on the world. Left Forum 2015 drew more than 4,200 participants for 400 panels. Recent speakers include Noam Chomsky, Angela Davis, Harry Belafonte, Arundhati Roy, Naomi Klein, Cornel West, Bolivian Vice President Álvaro García Linera, Frances Fox Piven, Amy Goodman, Slavoj Zizek, Grace Lee Boggs, Michael Moore, Marina Sitrin, and Immortal Technique.
Please send a cover letter and/or resume to Ashley Abbott at: firstname.lastname@example.org