Program and Outreach Administration Internship
Left Forum seeks a part-time Program and Outreach Administration intern for the Fall/Winter 2014 and Spring 2015 periods. This internship starts immediately. This is a three to six month internship or a one or two semester internship and it can be scheduled according to the academic calendar year as needed.
We seek a creative, highly skilled individual interested in learning about and assisting Left Forum's conference and panel planning work for the June 2015 conference. Candidates should have a passion for grassroots organizing and social justice, and a commitment to furthering global left dialogue. This internship is ideal for those with some organizing experience.
This position merges a rigorous program of research, analysis, and editorial work, with high-level forms of planning and outreach to noted scholars and organizers from around the world. You will gain the skill sets of program development practices, engage in individual and collective research projects, and develop verbal and intellectual acuity in helping to organize panels. This position provides a great opportunity to meet and learn from scholars, activists, authors and artists in a rewarding intellectual political milieu.
- Develop and implement individual and team plans to identify, reach out to, engage, and brainstorm with potential panel organizers and panelists
- Help to administer panel conference program and vetting processes
- Engage panelists in email and phone communications along with some in person meetings
- Help administer all phases of panel organizing from initial contact to conference panel scheduling
- Engage in web and database management of all panelist information
- Use online spreadsheet, databases (e.g., CiviCRM) and related reports to organize outreach and panel program developments
- Engage in panel organizing outreach to under-represented progressive groups and individuals
- Engage in outreach and publicity to promote the conference
- Develop promotion through panelist contacts and networks
- Help Coordinate panelists involvement at the 3-day conference
Background and Experience
- Excellent research, writing and verbal communication skills
- Strong publicity and outreach skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively both individually and in a team
- Experience with databases and websites—CiviCRM and Drupal preferred
- Knowledge in web content production and some web graphic production
- Passion for grassroots organizing and social justice
About this Internship
We're a small organization with a dedicated group of organizers, staff, and volunteers, leaving lots of room for your creativity. You'll have the opportunity to work in an interesting (and relaxed) office in the CUNY Graduate Center in Midtown Manhattan where you'll be able to interact with scholars and people who are involved with grassroots social justice movements.
This internship is unpaid, although academic credit is available. Hours are flexible—we ask for 15-20 hours a week—and can be adapted to fit your schedule. This internship begins immediately. People with diverse backgrounds and experience are encouraged to apply.
Please send a detailed cover letter and resume to email@example.com
About Left Forum
Continuing a tradition that began in the 1960s, Left Forum convenes an international conference each spring in New York City. The conference involves a broad spectrum of progressive intellectuals, organizers and academics, who come together to share ideas to transform the world; to better understand commonalities, differences, and alternatives to current predicaments; and to engage a wide range of critical perspectives on the world. Left Forum 2012 drew more than 4,000 participants for 400 panels featuring; Past keynote speakers have included Noam Chomsky, Arundhati Roy, Frances Fox Piven, Michael Moore, Cornel West, Slavoj Zizek, and Grace Lee Boggs.