Program Development and Events Internship
Left Forum seeks to fill a Program Development and Events Internship. This is a 1 to 2 semester (or monthly equivalent) internship for the 2014 Fall semester and/or through the 2015 Spring semester and can be scheduled according to the intern’s academic calendar and requirements.
About the Program Development and Events Internship
We’re a small organization with a dedicated group of organizers, staff and volunteers with a passion for social justice, community organizing, and progressive change. Located in the CUNY Graduate Center, you’ll be working in an interesting (and very relaxed) office where you’ll interact, meet, and learn from scholars, activists, authors and artists in a rewarding intellectual political milieu.
This position merges a rigorous program of research, analysis, editorial and administration work with high-level forms of planning and outreach to noted scholars and organizers from around the world. You will gain the skill sets of program development practices, engage in individual and collective research projects, and develop verbal and intellectual acuity in helping to organize events. This position provides a great opportunity to develop small workshops and events, including our conference which annually features over 1,000 speakers including Noam Chomsky, Angela Davis, Harry Belafonte, Immortal Technique, Arundhati Roy, Naomi Klein, Michael Moore, Amy Goodman, Cornel West, Bolivian Vice President Álvaro García Linera, Frances Fox Piven, Slavoj Zizek, and Grace Lee Boggs.
- Assisting in brainstorming, identifying, and implementing conference/event program content
- Aide the development and implementation of individual and team plans in all aspects of large-scale event organizing
- Engage speakers, organizers, and activists in email and phone communications along with in-person meetings
- Help administer all phases of event planning and organizing from initial contact to conference and event scheduling
- Help organize envisioning meetings using diverse facilitation styles
- Engage in workshop and panel organizing and outreach to under-represented progressive and social justice groups and individuals
Background and Experience
- Excellent research, writing and verbal communication skills
- Strong publicity and outreach skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively both individually and in a team
- Experience with databases and websites, project management tools and related technologies — knowledge of CiviCRM and Drupal systems is a plus
- Passion for grassroots organizing and social justice
- Interest in politics and political analysis
About Interning with Left Forum
- This internship is unpaid, although academic credit is available.
- We ask for approximately 15-20 hours a week
- Hours are flexible and can be adapted to fit your schedule.
- We ask for a commitment of at least 1 semester (or approximately 3-4 months)
Please send a cover letter and/or resume to: email@example.com