Food

Description: 
This panel will provide socialist perspectives on capitalism's ever-worsening ecological crisis. What is to be done -- both today and tomorrow -- and how are we to do it?
Location: 
NYC
Description: 
In this workshop, we'll dive deep into the history of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers' unique and successful alliance with students, activists, faith communities, and community allies to bring respect and human rights to the fields. For nearly two decades, farmworkers and consumers have built consciousness about farm labor poverty and exploitation in the fields. Together, they've taken to boycotts and other forms of nonviolent direct action to leverage the market power of 14 major corporate retailers of tomatoes -- from McDonald's to Walmart -- to establish the Presidential Medal-winning Fair Food Program. Thanks to the Fair Food Program, the human rights of tens of thousands of farmworkers along the East Coast are being respected for the first time. The Fair Food Program's model, called "Worker-driven Social Responsibility," has been adapted by dairy workers in Vermont, garment workers in Bangladesh, and others, promising a new approach to ensuring labor rights for low-wage workers around the globe. We'll discuss the merits and future of Worker-Driven Social Responsibility as well as the ongoing boycott of Wendy's, the only major fast food company still refusing to participate in the Fair Food Program.
Description: 
The co-operative movement was built by people who took on the responsibility for their collective wellbeing in the face of government neglect, economic exclusion and cultural discrimination. As the modern economy increasingly denies vast sectors of the population basic amenities for decent life, this co-operative spirit is as critical as ever. However, over the years the co-op sector has become insular and poorly understood. A Silent Transformation sets out to explore the innovative self-help efforts of diverse communities across the Province of Ontario, which by addressing their needs collectively are helping to regain the radical vision of co-operation. In these communities are the seeds of economic democracy, global solidarity, and a new popular movement to transform society!
Description: 
The essential feature of CAPITALISM is macro-usury – the misuse of the money system. The U.S. monetary system is the mysteriously-public-private Federal Reserve, but what is not taught in our schools and media is the fact that our money is created by private commercial banks, not by our government. Paper currency and coin account for only about 3 percent of the U.S. money in circulation; the other 97 percent is created by private banks when they make loans to individuals, businesses, and governments. Banks create money simply by entering the loan amount into the borrower’s account. In effect, they create money out of thin air, then charge interest to the borrower. That interest is their profit – in other words they don’t have to work for their pay but, like parasites, they feed off all the rest of us working people. This is capitalism’s most essential feature and completely missing from the study and definition of capitalism. Come hear from a group of monetary reformers who reside here in New York City. The panel will explain how the system works and how it creates wealth inequality, debt, poverty, ecological destruction, and corruption of our democracy by Big Money. This knowledge will strengthen the Left as a force for change.